Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Ya can't fix stupid

A story:

A couple of guys go in the woods with guns with the idea that they're going to find Bigfoot. Through the course of events one gets jumpy and hears an alarming noise that causes him to turn and shoot his friend in the back. The guy and his family later go on to obstruct authorities. Moral to this story? Well to me it seems to have told me something that I already knew, and that is that people have the great potential to do something greatly stupid. 

It was dumb to go out with a weapon and not handle it safely (aka keep it on safe until you have a clear target in your sights). It was dumb to lie to police (they'll find out eventually). And it was dumb to let it go on for so long. I understand that they guy may have been really exited to get to shoot Bigfoot. I understand that he and his family were panic mode over getting arrested. But that does not in my mind justify their actions and I'm glad that this guy won't be out in the woods anymore with a weapon that could harm someone else this time. 

*side note: It kind of scared me a little how the Sheriff's department of the county stated that if they had told the truth then nobody would have likely gone to jail. What does he mean? A guy mishandled a weapon and injured someone. I know I'm not a lawyer so could someone just explain to me how telling the truth would have prevented an arrest?

4 comments:

  1. The comment about "not going to jail" is in some ways the weirdest part, and it also connects with the attitude demonstrated by the sheriff in the county known for Chupacabra sitings. It seems like in each case the focus is on handling and reacting to the story rather than to the facts. Perhaps his point was simply that they wouldn't have arrested the man for obstruction if he and his wife hadn't lied about other people shooting at them, but why charge him with reckless conduct then? Is the real hunt for publicity here (sorry--corny, I know, but I couldn't resist).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is just too ridiculous to be true. In my opinion, the "Bigfoot Hunt" is a cover up. Whether or not the intention was actually to shoot this man is unclear, but it does occur to me that there were probably more nefarious dealings going on than the Penidas led on to. It very well may be that the sheriff wants to accept this cover up because of its absurdity and ability to attract attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole situation is sketchy in the first place. Hiding the gun, lying to police, hunting without safety on all are stupid things, as you put it, that could have easily been avoided. The fact that he heard a noise and automatically shot is astounding to me. When you hunt you take many precautions, and obviously this guy either didn't do that or possibly intended to hurt/kill his "friend". It does seem, as Dr. Herron pointed out, that these people are just wanting publicity, which is ironic because that is also what the "Legend of Bigfoot" is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jose,

    I'm with you, this whole story is absurd. It's pretty difficult to believe these clowns were really searching for Bigfoot, but regardless, they should have been more forthright with the authorities.

    Cullen Cosco

    ReplyDelete